Tuesday 7 October 2014

A Bit Of Posh Mixed With Tradish








If you follow me on Instagram, you would know that I am a massive foodie.  Any cuisine and I am eating it.  I really want to start making posts called London Eats because I keep stumbling across some amazing restaurants there.  However, I don't want to discriminate against other counties, or indeed countries, so will just continue to post as I find them.

A few weeks ago, Liz (my friend who is also a massive foodie) and I, went on one of our Saturday eating extravaganzas.  If you can't keep up with our appetites, then you can't sit with us lol.  After some drinks at a bar near to Green Park tube station, we went and had afternoon tea at The Wolseley.  I have been to The Wolseley a few times before with my mum and I can honestly say that the service is second to none.  Located in upmarket Mayfair, this establishment is situated next door to The Ritz.  Everyone is SO attentive, the restaurant is absolutely beautiful and it is not pretentious at all.

We both opted to have afternoon tea, which consisted of sandwiches, cakes and scones.  You are also given a large pot of tea each (of your choice) which was very kindly refiled once finished.  The fillings within the sandwiches consisted of salmon, cucumber, tuna, to name but a few.  You'll be pleased to hear that the bread was not dry and the selection of cakes were amazing.  They were beautiful and extremely detailed. 

I would highly recommend visiting The Wolseley if you are in the Mayfair area; you will certainly leave full to the brim!

In the evening, we decided to visit The Rum Kitchen on Carnaby Street.  Now, I had seen that Wande from Wande's World, had posted a picture of the most beautiful rum punches from The Rum Kitchen and me being half Bajan and half Guyanese, I had to go!

As soon as we got to the restaurant, I was transported back to the Caribbean, as the decor resembles that of a beach shack.  My advice to you from the get go, is to BOOK.  This place gets very busy and we didn't have a reservation.  Thankfully, the lady at the door was beyond accommodating and we thankfully got a table after a 15 minute wait (we went for a walk around Carnaby Street).

The menu has a ridiculous amount of cocktails and I wanted to drink all…admittedly, I would have been very much out of it on the train home…but hey.  I opted for good old rum punch which tasted nearly as good as my dad's  ;).  It was very good.

What I liked about the menu, was that the food selection was what you would typically expect to be fed if you walked into a Caribbean kitchen; none of this try this with that meals.  They have stuck with what is well known and liked, hence why this place is so popular.  I had the squid to start and then curry goat for my main.  The prices were spot on for the portion sizes (which were big).  

Music pumped through as we ate, the waiters were full of jokes and it literally felt like I had walked into a family gathering.  What was also so nice to see, was that there were so many different nationalities enjoying the food I have been brought up on.

These two places were certainly my restaurants of September and I highly recommend that you visit sometime soon.

Until next time *pats belly*…Dawn xx



The Wolseley
http://www.thewolseley.com

The Rum Kitchen
http://therumkitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment